Album of the Day - Dream Theater: The Astonishing


Image result for dream theater the astonishing


So, I figured that enough time has gone by for me to review this album. I have listened to this set many times, and each time I listen to it, I find new things I like about it. Whoops, I guess I gave it away: this will be a positive review. Why, you ask? Because I really like this album. I find it to be something of a melodic masterpiece.

Now, before I get into my thoughts on the album, let me just say that it may not be the popular opinion. This album seems to have divided the Dream Theater fans. There are some, like myself, that adore the disc. There are others, mainly the "bring back Portnoy" crowd, that dismissed it, after the first listen. I have read many comments that say the album seems to disjointed, or thrown together. For many, it just wasn't heavy enough. I can't imagine that my thoughts on the album will change any opinions, but I'm going to try anyway.

"The Astonishing" is a two disc, concept album, written, and set up just like a Broadway play. The story, though not hugely original, is about a time in the distant future, where music is controlled by soulless, flying machines. The people of this time are just too busy for music. But there is one village, and one man, that want to change the way that the people of the world feel about music. We have a couple protagonists, a couple antagonists, and a cast of characters, that carry this story through two acts of beautifully written music. Again, the premise of the story isn't exactly new, and fresh, but it is a new take on the concept, and one that I find myself to be quite entertained by.

The voices for all of the characters (well... most) are done by lead singer, James LaBrie. Somehow he managed to put something different into his vocals for the cast of characters, and I think he did a fantastic job of portraying different thoughts, and emotions. He's singing amazingly well on the album, and I think his performance is the shining star on the album. Of particular note to me, is the song "When Your Time Has Come". This track shows just how great of a vocalist James is, and always has been.

Musically, "The Astonishing" is very melodic. It's a very symphonically, and piano driven album. Of course, there are a lot of tasty guitar bits from John Petrucci on the album, but Jordan Rudess turns in one hell of a great performance on the keyboards / piano. To be honest, I think the entire band are performing better than they have in years, and Mike Mangini has really found his place within the band. I find the music to be more appealing, and revealing with each new listen. There are so many musical styles on this album, and we even find the band stretching a little into country territory with "Hymn of A Thousand Voices" (don't worry, I think it works wonderfully!).

Overall, I wouldn't call "The Astonishing" my favorite Dream Theater album. But for a band this deep into their career to write such a fantastic, symphonic work of art is really very impressive. I have heard the album countless times, and each time I find myself loving it just a little bit more. And though there may be many fans out there who don't "get it", there are still more of us that do, and appreciate this album for what it is: a finely crafted, work of art. Just further proof why Dream Theater will go down in Prog Rock History as one of the very best.

Top Three Tracks: "When Your Time Has Come", "Our New World", "Hymn of A Thousand Voices".

Comments