A June Weekend With A Large Family

I haven't written a new post in a minute and a half, so I thought that maybe I would talk about our busy, but very enjoyable weekend, with a large family..
.

Friday was payday. That was convenient, because rent was due on Friday. So I loaded the car with Selena, and Samantha, and we drove our merry old way off to Red Oak, Iowa. That's a drive time of about an hour, there and back. We grabbed school lunch for the kids before heading out; chicken nuggets, and veggies. The nuggets were not cooked. I think they took them from a bag of frozen nuggets, let them thaw, and served them. I'm sure that they were pre-cooked before being frozen, and packaged, but it still made for a terrible tasting chicken nugget. I mean, it's a free summer lunch, and a huge help, but they were pretty damned gross. Yuck.

After that trip, we headed off to the Wilson Aquatic Center, here in Shenandoah. Julia and I purchased the family pass, which was wise. When you have seven kids, and two adults, it's just so much cheaper to pay $150 for the summer, rather than $5 per person, every visit to the pool. Now we can go swimming whenever we want. Which is a good thing, because if we go today (which we are planning on doing), this will be our third trip to the pool. We have a lot of fun at the pool. To be honest, I never had fun at public pools with my ex-wife, but with Julia, I enjoy myself. I think it's that I'm able to converse with Julia better than I could with my ex. It makes a pool trip that much more fun for me. Which is nice.

Friday night we gathered 'round the fire pit, with hot-dogs, s'mores, and way too many kids. We ordered the fire pit from Amazon last week, and it arrived Friday afternoon. When we took it out of the box we were annoyed to find out that it was pretty heavily dented. It is still usable, but what a huge let down. Now we're trying to decide if we want to go through the hassle of returning the damn thing, or just deal with what we have. It was nice hanging out outside with far too many kids. We had the kids roast their hot-dogs over the fire, and then their s'mores. Hope even seemed to really enjoy herself.

Julia and I ended the night in bed, checking out the third episode of HBO's "Chernobyl". I'm really enjoying the show, and as soon as we finish up, I'll write up a review post for it. I think it is really well done, and I'm learning a lot about this awful tragic event.

Saturday morning was spent getting ready to go to a fishing derby in Clarinda. It was a panic getting ready, and we had to be there by 10:00 AM. We didn't make it. We really should have gotten more ready the night before, but Friday was just so damn busy. I got a new fishing pole, we couldn't use it, because we couldn't really figure the damn thing out. In the end, after fighting with it for an hour, Julia figured it out. Unfortunately, we were already home by that point. Nobody caught anything at the derby, but it was still a very nice couple of hours. We even got a free lunch of hot-dogs, and po-tay-toe chips.

Afterwards, we relaxed at home for a few hours, reacquainting ourselves with our central air. We just needed some indoor time, before heading to the pool for a couple of hours. I took Hope under the sprinkler area, and she was a bit concerned with the rainfall at first, but seemed to think it was interesting enough. She really enjoys the pool, in her cute little floatie. It's a bit interesting for me to get into the pool. I have to sit down at the side (no easy feat, unfortunately), take my prosthetic off, and have someone take it away from the water. I'm not supposed to get it very wet. Despite the pain in the ass of getting in, and out of the pool, it was fun.

Dinner was pretty simple, with frozen pizzas, and Julia made some broccoli-cheese soup for us. It was nice to just have a nice, easy dinner, compared to our usual more involved dinners. Once in a while, with this many kids, it's good to do something a bit on the easier side. Seven kids is a lot. But I think that we do okay.

Today, I haven't done much of anything. I ran to the store, played with Hope, and now I'm just writing this post. Hope did get her first CD today: Baby Shark's Greatest Hits. We're listening to it now, on Julia's little shelf stereo. What a great song!

And now, with the smells of lunch filling the house, I'm finishing this blog, and am going to go help with lunch. Until next time, I hope you all have a great day!

-Rob

Comments